Monday, March 27, 2017

12 Resolutions - the Origin

For April's challenge, I am taking on something that I've been struggling with, um - my whole adult life.

The concept of coming up with monthly challenges for myself was actually introduced to me by a friend. I remember asking her what her New Year's resolution was and she told me that she makes goals for each month of the year. Hello ambition! Meet your big sister!

It never dawned on me to make a resolution for each month of the year. On one hand, it seems extreme! Twelve resolutions!? That seems like a lot of extra work.

However, if each of them fits the time constraint or even builds up toward the final goal at the end of the year - then that's where the whole thing starts to make sense.

In years past, I've made lists. I've kept them in my phone, written them on a calendar, posted them to the refrigerator - but even then, with the goals there in my face daily, it was so hard to keep up with.

Maybe my goals where a bit too lofty...

Or, maybe they just weren't sized to fit the time constraint of 30-ish days.

It took a few rounds of practice in order to get the hang of it. I learned that my monthly goals needed to be specific.

If you want to save $10,000 by the end of the year in your savings account - that's all well and good, but you'd better map out how exactly you plan to do that. What steps are needed? How much do you need to save per month? Per week?

I'm happy to share my thoughts, goals and challenges with you while we continue to strive for our better selves and keep pressing toward the mark. Who knows where we'll land at the end of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment