These few days of me being incognito have been 1) travel days and 2) days of reflection. The challenge for June has been enjoyable so far.
Logging each day of language practice with the mobile application has been smooth sailing. I'm on consecutive day number 19 of practice.
Last week at work, some of it came in handy.
Although I'm the first to admit that I'm far, far, away from fluency - I got the opportunity to have a few brief conversations, with mostly native speakers. They get a little kick out of hearing me speak their native language. It's the perfect time for me to practice with someone who may correct me, but won't laugh at me.
At least we can both agree that I'm trying...
More recently, I had a similar - yet very different experience.
While at work today, one of my colleagues asked if I had time to review an email that she was preparing to send. The email was in Spanish. Her usual "go-to" person was busy and wasn't able to help.
I felt pretty good about jumping in. I was glad I could once again put my study to use. That can be difficult to do when you're learning a second language. Unless you immerse yourself in the language, you must take the time to work at it daily by reading, speaking, listening to and possibly writing it day-by-day.
The thing about languages is, if you don't use it - you most certainly lose it. You can never tell exactly when it will come in handy - so the best thing to do is to just keep practicing day in and day out. I've come to realize that I may never be fluent, but once I reach a certain percentage of fluency, It'll feel pretty great.
No comments:
Post a Comment