Monday, June 5, 2017

Old-er Dogs and New Tricks

Reviving old habits is like riding a bike. Good habits and bad habits...

There's some comfort in resuscitating old good habits. Like that first day back to the gym after a long hiatus. It's familiar because you used to spend lots of your days there before and now today's the day that you make your great return.

You feel good about it. The endorphins are buzzing, your excitement is building...

It's like the first day of school! You're familiar with this place, these feelings, these people. It's like slipping on an old pair of shoes - a perfectly custom fit.

That's kind of how I've been feeling these past few days of language learning. I remember the sounds of the mobile application I'm using when I enter a correct answer! Ding! That's Correct!

Ahhh, the familiar sounds of success.

Of course, because I've been off the grid with language study for so long, I'm still at the rekindling stages of it all. What's that mean? Well, it means that I'm still on the fairly easy levels...

But, I'm not busting my own bubble yet. I understand the importance of baby steps.

When getting back into the gym after a long hiatus, it's generally not good practice to exercise as hard as you did on the last day that you left. After all, it took you some time to build up to that point and now that you've just begun again, it will still take some time to get back to that point.

Alas, I'm enjoying this stage of rebuilding. I'm starting to remember things that previously took me a long time to retain.

Old(er) dogs can learn new tricks! And, like our physical muscles, it just goes to show that our mental muscles can still flex their stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment