Officially, today was the final day of the 14 business days of bento box lunches. Yep, I understand that this challenge seemed like a bizarre one. But, the self-reflection time I had and the things I've learned about myself and my habits were well worth the challenge and the efforts.
A few things I learned about myself:
1) Forced portion control is beneficial and necessary.
2) Eating from the same vessel everyday helps alleviate some decision fatigue.
3) Meal prepping the night before makes the mornings smooth sailing.
4) Including high-nutrient foods mitigates hunger - even when portions are restricted.
5) Taking extra care in assembling food adds to the value of the meal itself.
6) When I buy something, I should put it to immediate use.
We don't have to be disorganized in one of the most important aspects of our lives.
Daily use of a bento box isn't a new concept, nor is it rocket science. When you look at some of the habits of fitness professionals or sports athlete's, one of the few commonalities we can share with them is that we can also meal prep.
No, you may not aspire to become a professional athlete, (Lord knows I don't), but if by eliminating 5 more decisions per week about what I'm going to eat, by adding more nutritious foods to my daily life, or by practicing portion control without having to spend more than 2 minutes planning for it - then I think that's a pretty impressive lifestyle enhancement.
I'm encouraged to use other things around the house that I haven't used yet.
Do you have anything around the house you're not using? Why did you buy it? Why are you keeping it? And, if you answered, "Just in case..." then that doesn't count.
No comments:
Post a Comment