Friday, April 14, 2017

Brain Chain of Command

My brain knows what's up.

I've always believed that where the mind goes, the body follows. That's why our physical bodies adapt to change at impressive speeds, when we get our brains to commit to the changes first.

Our bodies are so miraculous. Even when we screw things up and take our bodies for granted, it knows how to compensate.

Eat too much sugar for dessert? There's an internal purification system for that. Scrape your knee on your outdoor excursion? Don't worry, your skin will replenish to the point of creating protective scab and will commence healing itself.

Truly, we are miraculous human beings.

Today began the first day of my double-down challenge and although I had a small rough patch, all-in-all I think my conviction is what helped push me through.

When the time of the day came that I'd normally have a non-plant-based snack, (popcorn or pre-packaged granola snacks, for example) my stomach started growling and my mind started to race.

As I ran down the list of why I'm following a plant-based diet for the next 30 days, my brain seemed to slow down those 'feed me now!' messages.

Right then and there - in that very moment, I instilled a chain of command. I didn't allow the irrational part of my brain, (which seems to be best friends with my hunger pangs) to call the shots. Instead, I flipped the switch and let the rational part of my mind do the negotiating.

Do you know what happened? My stomach quieted.

Hmph.

As it turns out, the rational part of my brain is pretty dang convincing. Just like that I was able to let my sensibilities give corrective guidance.

Where the mind goes, the body follows. Take your mind and body somewhere they'll never regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment