Following a plant-based diet is tough when you don't take the time to prepare.
Today was one of those days.
I failed to have protein with my breakfast smoothie today, so mere hours later, my stomach started to growl. I should've known better.
Before my plant-based challenge, it wasn't uncommon for me to drink a green smoothie for breakfast alongside some crackers and peanut butter. But, crackers and peanut butter are not on the acceptable foods list. So, I drank down the smoothie and headed out the door.
Armed with what I planned to eat for lunch, once I got to work I couldn't ignore the fact that my stomach was playing the sounds of a very ready drumline.
Ignore it. That's what I told myself.
Maybe it'll go away...
But, it didn't. I knew I'd have to eat something, so I did. I ate my lunch - plants and grains.
What stipulations this would have during the actual lunch hour when I had nothing else to eat crossed my mind, but simply put - I didn't care. I was hungry now - so I ate.
Hours later - I felt exhausted and ended up reaching for something not plant-based. Sugar was one of the central ingredients.
I reasoned that it would give me the energy to push through. Would I consider it a horrible choice? No. It was mostly a snack of nuts, seeds, and dried berries.
Though I'm not beating myself up about it - the point is that I didn't want to fall into this circumstance. I see it as a failure point.
Moral of the story? Though you may at some point bend, it doesn't mean you must fully break. Make the best choices you can and immediately get back in the game.
No comments:
Post a Comment