Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Finally, it Clicked

I have a different perspective when it comes to food than I used to have.

After reading so many books about nutrition and diet and the benefits of being a plant-based eater, finally - I got it.

The more I think about it, it took more than that; it took my research on consumerism also to bring me around.

In America, there's lots we know about 1) food and 2) consumerism. Both of these things combined make for a powerful, powerful trance-like state of mind.

Food here - as the notion is sold to us is supposed to be any or all of the following words: fun, entertaining, mesmerizing, sexy, life-transforming, dream fulfilling, compassionate, romantic, etc.

Food in other countries is seen as simply, food. It's to be consumed when you're hungry a few times during the day in order to keep you going.

Yes, it should be tasty to you - otherwise, you wouldn't eat it. But, it's not marketed to other nations as the thing that brings you comfort, joy, erotic feelings or anything else.

It's fuel. Period.

I still enjoy discussing favorite foods with friends, but something clicked for me this week in that I no longer romanticize food. It no longer brings me excitement when I know it's near. Yah, I like food - healthy food, junk food, etc. But at the end of the day - it's simply fuel. Why give it more influence over my life than it actually deserves?

It's not the food's fault. It's part of the problem of our society. We bit the bait, hook, line and sinker; therefore, generations have fallen victim to the effects over time of assigning too much importance to food.

Knock the food off the pedestal. Hopefully, one day it'll all click for you also.

No comments:

Post a Comment