The challenge for the month of April has seen some success. I've been able to stay on track with taking vitamins and supplements on a daily basis. I've also had some success with focusing on a plant-based diet.
Let's talk about eating plants only...
There are lots of 'ups' and a handful of 'downs' while following a plant-based diet.
I don't think anyone will argue that it's a good idea to get in a few extra servings a day of vegetables and fruit.
One of the challenges I've found is that although there are some reasonably healthy snacks out there - it's important to monitor the sugar.
I'm looking at you granola bars.
If you can help it, it's best to avoid snacks with added sugar. I unknowingly put myself in a challenging position before this bonus challenge even began.
I picked up a package of what I can only describe as deconstructed granola-type bars as an alternative and healthful snack to keep around during the work day.
It was delicious. I went back the next day to purchase several packages in bulk. I saw the picture on the front, considered the ingredients from the image and decided that the contents of seeds, nuts, honey and dried fruit was acceptable to me.
WHY didn't I turn the package over and read the ingredients?!
The danger word was listed there as the second ingredient...sugar.
I keep these snacks at work "in case of emergencies" and I've been decent at only reaching for them in trying times, but still - sugar in processed foods isn't on the acceptable foods list.
Although they're not the worst choice, they're not the best choice. Mostly, they are the convenient choice...
I'm certain I'll be paying that convenience fee.
No comments:
Post a Comment