Thursday, April 20, 2017

Our Internal Decision Bullets

Change your mind, change your life.

When we take the time to actively listen to our quiet inner voice, that's the time we can make the most rational decisions.

For me, I've always been a quick decision maker. I know what I want, when I want it, how I want it, why I want it and certainly what I absolutely don't want. No waffling here.

But, sometimes, even with being the most sure of ourselves and our decisions, we get caught in a situation that requires us to take a little more time to consider the other options in more depth.

Maybe it requires us to take a lot more time. It all depends.

When it comes to changing habits, we have plenty of opportunities to practice listening to our quiet inner voice.

I like analogies, so I'll use one here...

Imagine that our decision-making process is like a gun and that we can fire decision bullets from either the magazine or from the chamber.

Our current habits are so solidified that it takes little to no time to make decisions. They're instant. We'll call those decisions the bullets in the chamber. They're there, ready to go and the quickest ones out.

Then, there are the decision bullets in the magazine...

They're there on reserve simply waiting to fire in case the instinctual decision bullet didn't do the trick. It takes longer (although not by much) to get to the ones in the reserves.

Our current habits are the bullets in the chamber. They almost fire themselves. But, in order to change our habits - sometimes we need just enough time to consider the other decisions on reserve. It's quite possible that those are the difference-makers and the change agents.

No comments:

Post a Comment