Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Your Tiny Inner Food Voice

Regarding the daily supplements I'm taking, you should be glad to know that it's all going just fine. I've gotten extremely good at taking that last dose at the right time of night - which helps me avoid having to slay dragons in my dreams...

Today I had the perfect opportunity to throw all of my cares and goals out the window over one meal.

Let's start from the top...

This morning I blended up this lackluster salad I picked up from a restaurant over the weekend and drank it down with the rest of my smoothie ingredients.

Breakfast came and went and with a few servings of nuts in between, it was time for lunch.

I think a lot of folks eat meals simply because it's that certain time of day that they've become accustomed to that habit without taking into consideration whether or not they're even hungry.

Today I silently asked myself if I was preparing to eat because I was hungry or because it was 'time.' It took more thought than I'd envisioned.

What I wanted was Chinese food. Nothing too fancy - just some vegetable fried rice. It's not that big of a deal, or is it? I can think of plenty of worse things...

I sat for a while rationalizing why getting Chinese food would be okay.

In the end, I discovered that no - I wasn't actually hungry. I also reminded myself that Chinese food was not currently on my acceptable foods list. At least, not for now.

So, I bypassed the fried food and opted for a better choice later on. Still, I'm learning how to actually listen to the sounds of my "food voice." It's pretty amazing how that tiny voice generally gets shouted down by the grumblings of my stomach or the trickery of my mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment