Wednesday, February 15, 2017

It's Not Necessarily for You

Something has definitely changed. The focus I have with my consumption has certainly sharpened. Regarding food, I'm keeping the gauge turned on regarding the quality of the item(s), the estimated amount of process involved and the amounts. I'm trying to actually listen to the little indicator we all have that says, "Okay - I'm good now. I don't require any more." It's a teeny, tiny, whisper of a voice - but it's there.

It's so easy to drown it out by the sights, sounds, tastes, and smells of the food in front of your face. I mean, it's right there and it's all yours, and you can eat as much as you want really - until it's all gone. Why would you stop before you've made it to the end?

I'll drop that last question in the following bucket, First World Problems.

The concept is so, very American. Take all you can! Buy all the things! Eat as much as you can shove down! Oy. How did we get here?

For those that lived and suffered through extremely rough times financially, or tragic life events such as a world war or The Great Depression, I can completely recognize and empathize with the thought patterns of the previous statements. In times such as that - your life depended on what you could get your hands on - whether it be food, clothing or whatever.

We're no longer in those times. If you find yourself reading this and you're not currently in extremely rough financial times, I think we can agree that the hoarding of things isn't necessary or beneficial. Whether it be household items, clothing or food. Just because it's there does not necessarily mean it's for us or that it's good to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment