I never really knew what a Mediterranean diet consisted of. Seems like it's mostly crudité. Some olives, a few nuts, hummus, a variety of meats, stuffed grape leaves, falafel, cheese...
Wine.
The one thing that stuck out to me about it - it resembled a spread of appetizers. This particular diet allows you to graze and choose foods you like - and is a low investment way to sample new things that you've never had before.
But still, it seems like I'd still be hungry.
Even if I went back to eating meat, trying to force a typical American meal into the bento box is nearly impossible. I can't even image a serving of meat and potatoes smashed in there let alone pizza or a fully dressed burger.
I can definitely appreciate the limitations the bento box puts on me and I have an even higher admiration for people of different cultures who take such time perfecting not only the food itself, but the artful presentation of it all.
I've heard it said, you eat with your eyes first...
Taking the time to masterfully prep your meals really enhances the value of the food. While it takes no time to speed through a drive-thru window for dinner, it takes nearly the same time to shove it down at the speed of light - only to regret it later.
With a good knife and a little inspiration from Mediterranean and Japanese cultures, you can add value and possibly even more nutrients to the meals in your lunch container - because frankly, if you can't eat gourmet everyday - you can at least fake it 'til you make it and get your food to dress the part.
No comments:
Post a Comment